The Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine is the official publication of the Society of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. It was launched in 1989, and accepts original articles, reviews, case reports, brief reports and other invited papers in the field of sasang constitutional medicine. Manuscripts must be prepared according to the instructions that follow; those that do not conform or are incomplete may be returned for correction prior to review. Each article published is assigned a unique DOI that serves to identify the article in a digital environment.
Objective The Constitutional Seong-Jeong therapy is one of the important ways to prevent Sasang constitutional symptomatology. But, there are various interpretations and unclear aspects of the content and meaning, so there are many difficulties in applying it concretely in actual clinical practice. The purpose of this study is to clarify the physiology, pathology, treatment mechanism and its specific meaning.
Method The pathology associated with constitutional symptomatology is known as Deepening-Seong and Exploding-Jeong. Therefore, related pathologies and corresponding treatment and prevention mechanisms were reviewed, focusing on the related contents of Donguisusebowon, and their specific meanings were considered.
Results and Conclusions 1. Constitutional Seong-Jeong therapy is a regimen to prevent and manage Deepening-Seong and Exploding-Jeong.
2. Deepening-Seong and Exploding-Jeong are the inappropriate occurrences of Seong and Jeong in the poor area of the Heavenly-frame recognition and in the vulnerable area of Humanly-activity practice, and the antecedent cause is covetous desire.
3. Deepening-Seong and Exploding-Jeong cause the weakening in the power of ears-eyes-nose-mouth to perceive Heavenly frame and the power of lung-spleen-liver-kidney to practice Humanly activity in the four constitution’s weak system, which lead to the Interruption in processing of four Qi in each weak system.
4. The four constitutions must be careful about the occurrence of covetous desire in the process of recognizing Heavenly frame and doing Humanly activity so that intellectual and behavioral abilities can be exerted to overcome the poor area of the recognition of Heavenly frame and the formation of Humanly activity to prevent deepening-Seong and exploding-Jeong from occurring.
Objectives This paper was aimed to review the preceding research on the origins, changes and constructive principle of Mahwangjeongchun-tang.
Method Based on Jema Lee’s works such as Dongyisusebowon and Dongmuyoogo, we analyzed contents related to Mahwangjeongchun-tang and its modification. Moreover, we reviewed physiological and pathological pecularities of Taeeumin symptomatology and applied the theory to induce the principle of the modified Mahwangjeongchun-tang in Sasang medicine.
Results and Conclusion 1) The origins of Mahwangjeongchun-tang might be Mahwang-tang, Jungchun-tang and Saengmaek-san.
2) Mahwangjeongchun-tang had been changed in composition when it moved from Manbyonghoichun to Dongyisusebowon.
3) Mahwangjeongchun-tang consists of a) Platycodi Radix (桔梗), Liriopis Tuber(麥門冬) and Scutellariae Radix(黃芩) which directly or indirectly enhance lung function, b) Ephedra Sinica(麻黃) which affects circulation of lung companion, c) Prunus Armeniaca(杏仁) and Ginkgo Biloba(白果) which affect wiwan's upward circulatory force, d) Radish Seed (蘿葍子) which affects small intestine's digesting effect, e) Mori Cortex Radicis(桑白皮) and Farfarae Flos(款冬花) which affect cough and asthma.
Objectives Sasang constitutional medicine is a traditional Korean medicine that classifies humans into four constitutions in consideration of individual differences in physical, psychological, and physiological characteristics. In this paper, we proposed a method to classify Taeeum person (TE) and Non-Taeeum person (NTE), Soeum person (SE) and Non-Soeum person (NSE), and Soyang person (ST) and Non-Soyang person (NSY) using a convolutional neural network with only facial images.
Methods Based on the convolutional neural network VGG16 architecture, transfer learning is carried out on the facial images of 3738 subjects to classify TE and NTE, SE and NSE, and SY and NSY. Data augmentation techniques are used to increase classification performance.
Results The classification performance of TE and NTE, SE and NSE, and SY and NSY was 77.24%, 85.17%, and 80.18% by F1 score and 80.02%, 85.96%, and 72.76% by Precision-Recall AUC (Area Under the receiver operating characteristic Curve) respectively.
Conclusions It was found that Soeum person had the most heterogeneous facial features as it had the best classification performance compared to the rest of the constitution, followed by Taeeum person and Soyang person. The experimental results showed that there is a possibility to classify constitutions only with facial images. The performance is expected to increase with additional data such as BMI or personality questionnaire.