The objective of this study is to offer some standards for the distinction of Sasang Constitutions through analyzing the characteristics of their body shapes that are classified by BMI.
The subject of this study were 1341 female and 927 male patients who aged from 17 to 80 in Seoul, Pusan, Daeku and Jeonju. They were treated with Sasang Constitutional medicine. 8 circumferences, 5 widths, weight, height of their body were measured with measuring tape, large sliding caliper, scale and anthropometer. Collected 15 anthropometric datas were analyzed by Analysis of Contingency table, ANOVA and Duncan test.
(1) The Body shapes according to obesity grade are classified Underweight type that BMI is less than 18.5, Normal weight type that BMI is 18.5~23.0 and Overweight type that BMI is more than 23.0.
(2) Soeumin represents Underweight type and Taeeumin represents Overweight type regardless of gender differences. Soeumin stands for Normal weight type in women and Soyangin stands for Normal weight type in men.
(3) In case of Underweight type, 13 measurements are not suitable to estimate Sasang Constitutions regardless of gender differences.
(4) In case of Normal weight type, 12 measurements except for W3 in women and W7 in men are suitable to estimate Sasang Constitutions. And there are no gender differences in Soyangin and Soeumin, but there are gender differences in Taeyangin and Taeeumin.
(5) In case of Overweight type, 9 measurements except for C2, C5, C6, W7 in women and 12 measurements except for W3 in men are suitable to estimate Sasang Constitutions. And there are no gender differences in 4 Sasang Constitutions.
From the above results, we have to consider not only gender differences and age groups but also obesity grade when we distinguish Sasang Constitutions.