1. Objectives The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of oral administration of distilled Suhwagije-tang in aging rats.
2. Methods The SD rats used in this experiment were 6, 48 and 68 weeks old. These groups were treated with distilled water(DW), 1% Vitamin C(Vit. C) and 50% Suhwagije-tang(SGT) distillate respectively, once a day for 4 weeks. Blood samples were taken from heart and the levels of various parameters in serum were analysed.
3. Results and Conclusions (1) At all concentration of SGT, survival rates of liver cells were higher than the control group.
(2) The rate of which the 10W-SGT group gained weight was significantly higher than that of the control groups.
(3) The levels of albumin in serum of 10W-SGT group were significantly increased in comparison to those of the DW group. The levels of ALP, total cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol in serum of 52W-SGT group were significantly decreased in comparison to those of the DW group.
(4) The levels of testosterone in serum of SGT groups showed no significantly changes in comparison to those of the control groups. Testosterone levels were naturally decreased with advancing years, so 72W-DW group's testosterone level was significantly decreased in comparison to those of 10W-DW group's. In contrast, 72W-SGT group's level was the highest in comparison to those of the control groups and those of deviation from 10W, 52W and 72W in SGT groups was also smaller than control groups'.
(5) The levels of glucose, total-bilirubin, ALT, AST, BUN, CRP, hs-CRP, homocystein, Na, K, Na/K ratio, Cl and Ca in serum of SGT groups showed no significantly changes in comparison to those of the control groups.
These results suggest that oral administration of Suhwagije-tang distillate should be effective in promoting growth and preventing rapid decline of testosterone in aging rats does not cause any imbalance in liver, kidney and electrolyte.