Research Code of EthicsChinese Literary Society of Yeungnam
Enactment: July 1, 2007.
Revision: September 1, 2016.
Revision: November 1, 2019.
Our society would like to establish guidelines for research ethics that the Editorial Committee (members) of scholars and reviewers as well as our society members, authors of papers should follow in order to encourage research activities that meet the purpose of studies, exploring the truth and contribute to human well-being and advances in society, and to vitalize Chinese literary studies in South Korea and publish a quality journal.
Members and reviewers of our society abide by the code of research ethics in performing scientific research and presenting research papers and implement fulfill their duties as trusted professional researchers faithfully, and make contributions to the healthy development of the discipline.
Chapter 1 Code of research ethics
Members of our society shall follow the norms as researchers, promote the development of science and society through academic activities and perform the duty they should follow as researchers sincerely, and thus, provisions for these responsibilities are established as follows:
Section 1 (Maintenance of dignity as a member) If any member violated laws and regulations ordinary people are required to keep and faces judicial sanctions or violated research ethics as a researcher, such as a director's unreasonable intervention or illegal spending of research expenses and arouses criticism, request for self-purification in the public and academic world shall apply to a decision relating to the dignity the members; however, that decision shall not be made by unwarranted assumptions like the involvement of public opinion.
Section 2 (Maintenance of integrity of research results) If one counterfeited, tampered or plagiarized by expropriating one's own or another person's research result as a new result or intentionally disparaged or hid preceding studies so as to reveal one's own research result, and if it was judged that there was a serious moral flaw in the initiation, process or result of the study, the moral judgment of the research result is made based on the integrity, efficiency and objectivity of the research progress and result.
Section 3 (Matters that an author should follow) An author shall follow the following matters.
Article 1 (Prohibition of plagiarism) The author shall not present research or argument he or she has not carried out as if it were his or her own. Expropriating another person's research result without specifying the source is considered plagiarism, so no one shall do this.
Article 2 (Disapproval of a nominal author) The author shall have rights as an author only for the study that he or she actually conducted or contributed to, which is acknowledged as an accomplishment. If one has not conducted oneself or not contributed at all, one shall never put one's name.
Article 3 (Prohibition of duplicate submission or double publication) The author shall not submit or publish his or her work that has already been published at home and abroad without mentioning the previous publication as if it were a new work.
Article 4 (Indication of author information)
Authors (including co-authors) clearly indicate their affiliation and position in the published thesis.
Section 4 (Matters that the Editorial commission should follow) 'Regulations on the Publication of Journal of Chinese Literary Society of Yeungnam Corporation' shall apply as regulations on the Editorial commission's duties and powers.
Section 5 (Matters that the reviewers should follow) Concerning the qualifications, selection of a reviewer, items and distribution of the marks in screening, processing of the result, and exemption of screening, 'Regulations on the Publication of Journal of Chinese Literary Society of Yeungnam Corporation' shall apply; however, the following shall be added regarding research ethics.
Article 1 (Fairness of a reviewer) The reviewer shall fairly evaluate a paper based on objective criteria without reference to his or her personal academic belief or personal acquaintance with the author in a review of the paper. He or she shall not exclude the paper without specifying any sufficient ground or for a reason that it conflicts with the reviewer's personal view and analysis.
Article 2 (Prohibition of the subject of screening) The reviewer shall respect the author's personality and academic independence in a review of a paper and not use an expression that depreciates or insults the author.
Article 3 (Confidentiality by a reviewer) The reviewer shall keep confidential the author of a paper and the contents of it till the submitted paper passes a review and is published in the journal and not cite the contents of the paper without the author's consent before the journal in which the paper is published. For a paper excluded, the reviewer shall keep confidentiality; however, the ground and reason shall be delivered sufficiently to the author through the Editorial commission.
Chapter 2 Guidelines on the implementation of the code of research ethics
Article 1 (Oath to the code of research ethics) All members of our society shall take the oath to abide by this code of research ethics. Provided that a new member shall promise to follow this code of research ethics when he or she joins the society, and an existing member shall be deemed to have taken the oath without a separate oath, simultaneously as the effectuation of this code of research ethics.
Article 2 (Organization and Term of Research Ethics Committee) Research Ethics Committee (Hereafter, the 'Committee') members shall be appointed with the approval of the Board of Directors by the recommendation of the President among the members. Committee members shall comprise of 5 to persons, and their term shall be two (2) years. If a Committee member receives screening, the member shall not qualify as a member, and one Committee member shall be supplemented in accordance with the procedures of the organization of the Committee.
Article 3 (Executives of the Committee and their duties) Executives of the Committee and their duties shall be set up as follows:
(1) The Committee shall have one Chairperson and one Administrative Secretary.
(2) The Chairperson shall be elected from the Committee, and the Administrative Secretary shall be appointed by the Chairperson.
(3) The Chairperson shall control the Committee, and the Administrative Secretary shall take charge of the Committee's affairs.
Article 4 (The Committee's function) The Committee shall administer all the matters regarding the society members' research ethics, examine and decide a member's conduct which is against this code.
Article 5 (The Committee's meeting) The Committee may call a meeting and pass a resolution in accordance with the following provisions.
(1) The Committee's meeting shall be called by the Chairperson, who shall be the chairman.
(2) The Chairperson shall summon the Committee when the President or more than three Committee members request(s), or when there is a request for an examination.
(3) The meeting shall be held with the attendance of a majority of the registered members and pass a resolution with the approval of a majority of the attending Committee members.
(4) The Committee's meeting and minutes shall not be disclosed in principle.
Article 6 (Request for an examination of an act of writing) The members of our society or the persons concerned may request for an examination whether a single member's act of writing is against the code of research ethics of our society in writing to the Committee.
Article 7 (Examination procedures) The Committee's examination procedures are set up as follows:
(1) The Committee may decide examination procedures such as its own examination or the participation of an external examiner through a discussion prior to starting an earnest examination of the item received.
(2) The Committee shall decide whether the research result of the member under examination has violated the research ethics through a full review. For this purpose, the Committee may conduct an interview with the member under examination, the person who requests the examination and the reviewer of the paper in question, if necessary. If the member under examination would not cooperate the interview with the Committee, it may be considered a violation of the guidelines on research ethics.
(3) The Committee shall allow the member under examination to have a sufficient chance to explain.
(4) A Committee member shall not disclose the identity of the member under examination or meeting progress until the final decision is made.
(5) The Committee shall draw all the processes of examination in writing, and the letter of decision in the examination shall be preserved after all the reviewers have signed on that.
Article 8 (Report on the result of the examination) The Committee shall report on the result of the examination immediately to the President. The report on the result of the examination shall specify each of the following:
(1) Details of the violation of the code of research ethics;
(2) Examination procedures;
(3) Base of the decision in the examination and related evidence
(4) Explanation of the member under the examination and procedures of treatment.
Article 9 (Procedures and details of disciplinary actions) If there is a request for a disciplinary action by the Committee, the President shall call the Board of Directors and finally decide a disciplinary action and the details of the disciplinary action. The kinds of the disciplinary action include the following, and duplicate disciplinary actions may be taken.
(2) Suspension or deprivation of membership;
(3) Cancellation of the right of a paper and prohibition of citation
(4) Prohibition of paper submission for three years.
Article 10 (Follow-up actions) The Board of Directors shall review the Committee's report and then take the following actions.
(1) The President shall carry out the Judging Committee's decision in accordance with the decision of the Board of Directors.
(2) If it was judged that there was a problem of the rationality and validity of the result of examination, the Board of Directors may ask the Committee for re-examination or the supplementation of the report. The request by the Board of Directors shall be made in a document that states specific reasons.
Article 11 (Other administrative matters) Other administrative matters shall be set up as follows:
(1) The matters that have not been specified in this code shall be executed in accordance with the Committee's decision.
(2) The Administrative Secretary shall put the details of the Committee's meeting in writing and report to the Board of Directors.
(3) The society shall offer financial assistance necessary for the smooth operation of the Committee.
Article 12 (Revision of the code of research ethics) The procedures of the revision of the rules of our society shall apply as the procedures of the revision of the code of research ethics. If the code of research ethics is revised, the members who promised to follow the existing code are deemed to have promised to keep the new code without any additional oath.
1. This code of research ethics shall be enforced November 1, 2007 after an approval of the general meeting.
2. This academic research ethics regulation applies to all members of the Association and subsequent members from the date of revision.