Information for Authors
Chapter 1. Eligibility and Process for Submission
Article 1. Manuscript submissions shall be made by doctoral candidates or doctoral degree holders.
Article 2. Contributors may submit manuscripts all year round. The submitted manuscripts shall be reviewed in compliance with the review criteria mentioned below, and accordingly, the Editorial Board shall make all decisions regarding publication. The Journal of Human Studies shall publish three issues annually: February 28 (English Edition: English-written articles only), June 30, and October 31. The manuscripts shall be submitted two months prior to the publication date.
Article 3. Contributors shall submit one manuscript via JAMS system of KCI. Contributors shall submit the manuscript checked by the plagiarism detection program, and pay the review fee determined by the Editorial Board upon submission.
Chapter 2. Eligibility for Submission
Article 4. The Journal of Human Studies restricts the research area of manuscripts to humanities and social sciences related to humanities. When manuscripts do not conform to Article 4, the Editor-in-chief shall notify the contributors of the reason for return of the manuscripts, and return the manuscripts.
Article 5. Manuscripts that have already been published elsewhere shall not be submitted. Multiple submissions are not considered for review. When an article is proven to violate Article 5 after being rated as ‘Published,’ the Editorial Board can cancel the publication of the article.
Article 6. When contributors are found to have committed plagiarism, submission of the manuscripts shall be cancelled in accordance with publication ethics guidelines, and the contributors are not eligible for submission for a certain period of time.
Chapter 3. Manuscript Review
Article 7. The review on the submitted manuscripts shall be conducted by three referees, appointed by the Editorial Board. The reviewers shall not be affiliated with the same institution as the contributor.
Article 8. The reviewer should referee the manuscript on the basis of the following six criteria:
1. The appropriateness and creativity of research topic: Manuscripts shall not be submitted if they have already been published elsewhere. They should contain original ideas or perspectives.
2. The rigorousness of research method and analysis: Manuscripts shall conform to the logics, organization, and development of academic research. In the case of empirical studies, an appropriate and rigorous research method and analysis should be employed.
3. The completeness of manuscripts: Manuscripts shall demonstrate a high degree of completion on the format, content, reference, and etc.
4. The contribution of manuscripts: Manuscripts shall be conducive to the development of academia.
5. The appropriateness of literature review and references: Citations and references shall be in accordance with the regulations of the journal.
6. The use of plagiarism detection software: Manuscripts shall be checked by plagiarism detection software before submission.
Article 9. Reviewers’ recommendation shall be made on the basis of the following three:
1. The reviewer may provide a clear rationale for publication decision.
2. The reviewer may provide a clear direction for manuscript revision if needed.
3. The reviewer may provide specific comments that help the completeness and qualitative improvement of the manuscript.
Article 10. Reviewers shall referee the manuscript based on Article 8 and Article 9, and then classify it into one of the following four categories: (1) Published; (2) Published Only After Revisions; (3) Re-reviewed After Revisions; and (4) Rejected.
Article 11. The reviewer shall remain anonymous, and must not disclose any information about the review result to others.
Chapter 4. Manuscript for Publication
Article 12. Pursuant to Article 10 as aforementioned, only the manuscript shall be published that has been rated as ‘Published’ (or ‘Published Only After Revisions’) by two referees or more, followed by the Editor-in-chief’s confirmation. As its final decision, the refereed manuscript shall be categorized into one of the following four:
1. Published: The Editor-in-chief shall assume the responsibility of publishing the manuscript after having notified the author that the manuscript is to be published based on this final decision. The author shall be allowed to make minimal corrections only in the area of editing such as typos, wording, and etc.
2. Published Only After Revisions: The Editor-in-chief shall assume the responsibility not only of notifying the author of the recommended revisions to be made based on this final decision, but of publishing the revised manuscript only after the author addressed each of the revisions raised by the referees in an appropriate way.
3. Re-Reviewed After Revisions: This decision shall correspond to a category other than ‘Published,’ ‘Published Only After Revisions,’ or ‘Rejected.’ The Editor-in-chief shall notify the author of the revisions required by the decision from the referees, and request the identical referees to re-review the revised manuscript. During the re-refereeing process, however, the Editor-in-chief may ask different reviewers to referee the revised manuscript circumstantially. The ensuing publication of the revised manuscript is contingent upon the decision from the referees.
4. Rejected: When the manuscript has been rated as ‘Rejected,’ based on the decision from two referees or more, the Editor-in-chief shall assume the responsibility of notifying the author that such a decision was reached.
Article 13. When the contributor raises a question against the decision of ‘Rejected,’ he or she shall be granted only one opportunity to have the manuscript reviewed again. Such an additional re-review is not subject to Article 2 of the regulations. Consequently, the subsequent rating of the manuscript as ‘Published’ as a result of the second review―requested by the contributor―may lead to the postponement of the publication to the next issue of the journal.
Article 14. When the decision to publish the article is made, the author shall send the final article via JAMS system. Hereafter, the author shall not exert any influence over the editorial process. The author is at this point obligated to pay the publication fee set by the Editorial Board.
Article 15. The Editorial Board shall notify the contributor whether or not the manuscript was accepted for publication within 50 days from the deadline for manuscript submission on. The submitted manuscript shall not be returned to the contributor.
Article 16. Only for the article which has been accepted for publication and upon the author’s request, the Editor-in-chief’s written statement may be issued that confirms its planned publication date in the journal.
Article 17. The author or corresponding author receives 2 copies of the issue in which his or her work is published and 20 copies of an offprint of the article.
Article 18. If a necessity arises that involves types of speciality printing regarding photographs, color photographs, plate printing, and etc., the author of the article shall cover actual expenses incurred as a consequence.
Chapter 5. Others
Article 19. The copyright of the article published in the journal shall be given to the author, but the author shall submit a consent form for copyright transfer when he or she submits the article via JAMS system, in which case the copyright shall belong to the Institute for Human Studies of Kyungnam University.
Article 20. Matters that are not specified above shall follow conventions and practices.
Article 21. The regulations specified above may be amended by the Editorial Board.
1) The above regulations shall be effective as of November 1, 2008.
2) The amended regulations shall be effective as of June 30, 2010.
3) The amended regulations shall be effective as of December 31, 2010.
4) The amended regulations shall be effective as of June 30, 2012.
5) The amended regulations shall be effective as of December 31, 2012.
6) The amended regulations shall be effective as of June 30, 2013.
7) The amended regulations shall be effective as of June 30, 2018.