Objectives :It is known that abdominal obesity increases the possibility of cardiovascular diseases, early death, and metabolic syndrome including dyslipidemia and insulin resistance. Clinical trials have been under way to verify the effectiveness of treatment for abdominal obesity. The objective of this study is to set criteria about how effective oriental medicine and acupuncture are in abdominal obesity.
Methods :I manually search "www.clinicaltrial.gov", 4 Korean medical databases and 4 Korean medical journals of abdominal obesity. Search terms used were "abdominal obesity" or "visceral obesity". In order to see detail review, searching was performed from 01, 01, 2005 to 11, 31, 2009. And I classified all the searched studies into design, intervention, purpose, end point, diseases, condition and etc.
Results :1. I could search total 67 trials in "www.clinicaltrial.gov". I found 9, 10, 13, 8, 6 clinical trial from 2005 to 2009 every year.
2. Test on both gender and adult or adult and senior have been most frequent.
3. Randomization clinical trial is 51 cases that occupied 96.2%. 38 cases use control group.
4. Body mass index(BMI) and waist circunference(WC) are major criteria of abdominal obesity clincal trial. WC, BMI, abdominal fat mass, body weight are measured at end point of abdominal obesity clincal trial.
5. I could search total 86 cases in domestic study. I found 15, 23, 23, 20, 5 cases from 2005 to 2009 every year.
6. Test on female and adult have been most frequent in domestic study.
7. Randomization clincal trial is only 2 cases that occupied 2.3%. 62 cases use control group in domestic study.
8. BMI, body fat percent, WC, visceral-subcutaneous fat ratio(VSR), waist-hip ratio(WHR) are criteria of abdominal obesity clincal trial in domestic study. WC, BMI, abdominal fat mass, body weight are measured at end point of abdominal obesity clincal trial in domestic study.
Conclusions :To improve abdominal obesity study in traditional korean medicine, it is need to activate clinical trial, meta analysis, develope of clinical practice guidelines, co-works with conventional medicine and etc.