Study on actual condition of oral hygiene among admitted aged person at the some of Gyeongnam welfare facilities
Hyun-Kyung Kang, Hye-Jung Song1, Eun-Kyung Lee1
Department of dental hygiene, Dongju college
1Department of dental hygiene, Masan college
Key words : Aged person, Oral hygiene, Welfare facility for aged person
In Korea, respect for the aged and filial devotion is treated as basic ethics for human life, and family takes care of the aged person mainly. Nowadays, family support on the aged person is prioritized than the others. However, number of aged person is growing, and family, which is used to protect the aged, becomes nuclear through industrialization. In addition, social advancement of female induces weakened supporting function of family, and all these issues generate the problem of protection for the aged as significant social problems. Author conducted oral inspection and questionnaire for the aged in some welfare facilities in Gyeongnam location from December 2005 to February 2006 to improve quality of life and oral hygiene of the aged. Through gathered data, the actual condition of oral hygiene management on the aged person in welfare facility was evaluated as fundamental data for project development on oral hygiene of aged person.
Through the analysis of inspected data, the following conclusions are derived.
1. Management status of oral hygiene is mostly not good, and toothbrushing per day is 'one time' for the most cases.
2. In free-of-charge facility, monthly allowance is 'under 50 thousand won' for the most cases.
3. Time for visiting oral treatment facility is on 'when toothache is occurred' for the most cases. For treatment content, 'prosthetic dentistry' takes 36.8% in charged facility, and 'tooth extraction' is 27.0% for free-of-charge facility.
4. Average DMFT index of the aged in charged facility is 16.81, and free-of-charge facility is 21.71.
5. Average number of functional teeth in charged facility is 15.22, and free-of-charge facility shows 7.29.
6. Average number of remained teeth in charged facility is 15.71, and the umbe in free-of-charge facility is 9.04.
7. Average number of extractable teeth in charged facility is 0.48, and for free-of-charge facility, the number goes up to 1.70.