Relation between the degree of dental service on dental service provider and dental fear
Sung Hee Jun, Myung Hee Jung1
Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Daegu health College
Key words : dental fear, dental hygienists satisfaction, dental services
Objectives: This study was conducted to know dental service and fear after research on reliability on dentists and satisfaction on dental hygienists.
Methods: This study was conducted by the 325 persons who had the experience of visiting dental medical institution. Statistical analysis was conducted using the SPSS 12.0 with T-test, ANOVA and correlation. The obtained results were as follows;
1. Internal consistency of Dental Beliefs Survey(DBS) and dental hygienists satisfaction questionnaire factors were 0.758 - 0.908(Cronbach' alpha). And the Cronbach' alpha's coefficients of the all subscales were more than 0.6. So high reliability and validity were identified.
2. As result of analysing fear from general feature, the men feel more fear than women and more fear was felt in the case of having worse teeth status. Fear was higher in case of visiting to dental clinic than in case of visiting dental clinic for precaution. And that was statistically related.
3. Dental fear was higher in the case of having the past pain experience, insufficient anesthesia experience, experience of seeing other persons pain and this was statistically related(P<0.01)(P<
4. Average of reliability on dentists was 37.9, person who has high reliability was 81.8%, person who has low reliability was 18.2%, average of satisfaction on dental hygienists was 31.5%(Satisfaction on dental hygienists was 51.1% and dissatisfaction on dental hygienists was 48.9%).
5. Higher dentists reliability and satisfaction on dental hygienists has lower fear considering general feature and dental clinic use behavior but person who has the dental clinic to go regularly has higher dentists reliability and satisfaction on dental hygienists where, however, fear was not low.
6. As result of analyzing correlation between dental service and dental clinic use behavior, satisfaction on dental hygienists was negatively related to reliability on dentists and fear. And, reliability on dentists was positively related to fear, pain experience in dental clinic, incomplete anesthesia experience, near person pain experience(experience on seeing person in pain), which were statistically related(P<0.01).
Conclusions: In relation to general features and reliability on dentists and satisfaction on dental hygienists caused by dental clinic use behavior, dental fear was decreased when reliability and satisfaction are higher. Group with low dental fear had higher reliability on dentists and satisfaction on dental hygienists than group with high dental fear but only reliability on dentists was statistically related(P<0.05).