본문 바로가기
  • Home

An Analysis of the Migration Flow Using Hierarchical Linear Model

Lee Hee-Yeon 1 Noh, seung chul 2

1서울대학교
2서울연구원

Accredited

ABSTRACT

Migration is an individual or household behavior in order to live a better residential environment, but the results of the population movement have considerable impacts on population, social and economic aspects in the origin and destination. The purpose of this paper is to develop the model of migration flows among 82 cities, to identify the determinants of migration flows. This paper is composed of two parts. First, the migration pattern and migration flows among regions in Korea was analyzed in terms of the personal characteristic and the spatial perspective. Second, the migration flow was analyzed using hierarchical linear model decomposing determinants of migration flow at the different levels. According to the estimation results of HLM, 66% of the total variance of the migration flow among 82 cities(the dependent variable)was explained by 1-level determinants such as perceived distance, population of the origin, and intra-migration and the remaining 34% was explained by 2-level determinants such as employment opportunities, new housing opportunities, and regional attraction. In the light of the high correlation coefficient between predicted inmigrants and actual inmigrants of each city, hierarchical linear model could be explained more precisely the migration flow in Korea.

Citation status

* References for papers published after 2022 are currently being built.